Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Meeting My Doula!


Last night I got to meet my Doula for the first time and am happier than ever! She is everything I could hope for my labor support and more... she is super personable, has a great laugh, and I think is a great fit for our family. During this first meeting we went over the Birth Plan... a very long plan that is pretty specific since I want to give myself the best chance possible for a natural unmedicated VBA2C. We talked about things that I expected to... what comforts me, how do I want to handle transitioning, and what I plan on doing to handle to pain without medication.

There were a few surprises though such as choosing a "code word" for when I REALLY want some pain meds. This way I can talk crazy and verbalize my pain without actually giving in to the pain.... cool huh?
(Basically she told me that during transition I will probably talk some serious crazy talk and this way I can scream my dear little butt off and no one will take me seriously until I say the code word which is not a normal word I would use!)

She asked Klint how he thinks he is going to handle me laboring and I can honestly say that I am sure he feels relieved that I now have a person who will be there from start to finish and he can do what he needs to do, like take the girls to a friend's house, without fear of having to leave me alone.

There are so many reasons to find a Doula, but here is what a Doula can do according to DONA which is the organization that trains Doulas:


Numerous clinical studies have found that a doula’s presence at birth
  • tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
  • reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience
  • reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
  • reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals
Research shows parents who receive support can:
  • Feel more secure and cared for
  • Are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
  • Have greater success with breastfeeding
  • Have greater self-confidence
  • Have less postpartum depression
  • Have lower incidence of abuse
I really think that having a Doula is one of the best choices I can make for this birth, which is coming up fast! I am sure you will be hearing more about Michelle as time goes on! 


siggy for birth blog
  post divider for birth blog

No comments:

Post a Comment